Well Thanksgiving day was very foggy here in Dallas. It was a little breeze but not cold at all which was perfect. So for dessert I decided to make apple cornmeal upside-down cake and pear upside-down cake! But since they're two different recipes there will be two different posts so stay tuned!
|This cake is very moist.|
|Look at all the apples|
Apple Cornmeal Upside-down Cake
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (for caramelizing the apples)
- 2/3 cup sugar (for the rest of the recipe)
- 6 small apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven 350F. And butter your round 9" cake pan
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a cooking pan and add 1/2 cup of sugar. Stir until butter has melted.
- Pour over your sliced apples and stir covering them with the melted butter and sugar. Do this until apples are tender (about 6-7 min.)
- Once they are tender pour them onto your cake pan
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl
- In another bowl cream the butter (6 tablespoons) and sugar, gradually add in the egg. After it's fluffy add in the flour and buttermilk
- Mix for 4 min. Do not over mix otherwise you'll have holes in your cake.
- Carefully pour or spoon your batter onto the cake pan over the apples. I used a spatula to even spread the batter and to make sure all apples where covered
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until it's golden brown from the top or the edges of the cake are golden brown
- Once you get it out of the oven let it cool for 5 minutes...AND at 5 minutes flip it! Don't wait more than 5 minutes to turn your cake because the apples might stick to the cake pan! And be careful because it will still be HOT!
* I adapted this recipe from Fleur-De-Licious